Take Your Base 5K – A Race Recap

5 Jul

What what?? Another race recap?! So soon? Why, yes. We just won’t talk about the ones I’ve done recently that you will never hear of on this page – well you might hear of them but there will probably be no recap!!

This past weekend I ran my first NYCRuns event  – the Take Your Base 5K. The race was in Coney Island, NY (Go Brooklyn yo.) and past experience has taught me that we cannot get to Brooklyn, much less all the way down to Coney Island, if we take the train to Manhattan and then subway it all the way to CI. Which meant an early day.

Kathy came over on Friday evening – the plan was to get up and go into the City for a day of shopping and eating.  We watched The Exorcist (Director’s Cut) and headed to bed!

Even though we got a later start than usual, we did head down to the train. Figuring that parking would be tough at New Haven, I thought we might try out the new Metro North station in West Haven. Well, that was a BRILLIANT idea if I say so myself! Free parking on the weekend!! Did a lot of walking in the city and quick back on the train because it would be an EARLY day tomorrow.

005

Grand Central welcomes you!!

010

This guy plays his piano out in Washington Square Park! Super cool!!

011

At the end of a long day in the city…some of us get a little punchy!!

I counted on the drive taking around 1.5 to 2 hours with packet pickup starting at 7 I thought it would be good to be out of the house no later than 5 (plus, there was some concern in my head about parking once we got there!). The drive was smooth and we parked right at the baseball stadium – MCU Park, home of the Brooklyn Cyclones. Packets picked up we found a nearby Dunkin Donuts for some coffee and waiting out the start!

018

I met this guy — Sammy the Seagull, the Brooklyn Cyclones mascot! I will admit, we weren’t sure what kind of bird he was at first!!

Everyone started lining up, and we eventually started – a little after the 9 am start time. Everyone was pretty good about lining up where they thought they should be. I know I was! I headed towards the back since I’m still slow, and wasn’t sure how much I’d end up walking.

The course was great — except for the first couple tenths of the first mile, where we had to run through a pee-stinky alleyway, we were on the boardwalk. Running on boards! It was an out and back course so a bit more than 1.5 out and then 1.5 back. There was a water station just before mile 1 and just after mile 2 and they were out and fully stocked for those of us WAY in the back!!  Near the end we headed into the MCU stadium where there was plenty of support pointing us in the right direction as well as being incredibly encouraging!! The finish was 3/4 lap of the warning track and then a finish on the track!

20140629_095640

Why yes, I *am* wearing the same thing as in my last recap!

My time wasn’t so great, but I’m not going to focus on that these days.

Post race goodies — were good! We got a Nathan’s hot dog and fries. And beers. We each got 2 beer tickets and they were serving Coney Island beer – I selected the Mermaid Pilsner and was happy with my choice! It was also nice to have inside, maintained real potties! Which also made for a good spot to change into beach clothes!

After enjoying our beers and dogs, we headed for the beach for a few hours! I love the beach! 🙂

023

021

020

Well, hi there!

After a quick romp in the water, I managed to take a short nap on my towel! The wind was pretty fierce and we gave up eventually. Instead of staying for the Cyclones game that evening we headed back to CT, with a stop in Westport at the Shake Shack to top of a FANTASTIC weekend!!

6 Responses to “Take Your Base 5K – A Race Recap”

1. Julie @RunWalkFASTPASS July 8, 2014 at 8:42 am #

WOW, what a fun looking race and great weekend. Life is so dull here in the ATL burbs, I want to be able to pop to NYC and see the Baby Grand at Washington Park! Hey your outfit is great, repeats are fine by me.

• outrunningthefork July 9, 2014 at 3:11 pm #

I *LOVE* being able to go down to NYC on a whim!! When I first moved up here I would get so (ridiculously) excited when I was driving and would see highway signs pointing me to New York City!!

It was a really good weekend — all the free parking was just the cherry on top!! 🙂

2. Jenereesa @ ScootaDoot July 6, 2014 at 11:06 am #

Nice! I’ll be in Brooklyn next weekend for a wedding. Fun seeing these pics. 🙂

• outrunningthefork July 6, 2014 at 11:26 am #

There’s lots of really great places to visit! My dad actually grew up in Brooklyn so we’d spend summer vacation there every couple of years — perhaps one day I should post about the weekend that I got lost in Brooklyn for almost an entire day. I was probably about 5 years old!

Have a GREAT time next weekend! I love weddings..well, I love wedding cake if I am being completely honest!!

3. Jan July 6, 2014 at 11:00 am #

The scenery is so great! Bummer about the pee alley but I think the ending & other views make up for it. 🙂

• outrunningthefork July 6, 2014 at 11:29 am #

Anytime I can get to the beach is a good time, even if I have to run to do it!!

Tell Me Somethin' Good!!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Clumsy Runner Blog

Sunshine, Smiles & Happy Miles

The Pioneer Woman

Plowing through Life in the Country...One Calf Nut at a Time

Diabetes and Donuts

Type 1 diabetes blog for type 1 diabetics, family, friends, and those who want to learn more about type 1 diabetes,type one diabetes, type 1 diabetes, diabetes, carb counting, diabetes blog, juvenile diabetes, juvenile, carbohydrate, newly diagnosed diabetes, teens with diabetes, young adults with diabetes, diagnosed with diabetes, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, t1diabetes, diabetes camp, diabetes information, what is diabetes, living with diabetes, food, carbohydrate counting, counting carbs, learning to count carbs, adults with diabetes,

pamruns

This WordPress.com site is the cat’s pajamas

Mommy Day by Day

Taking it one day at a time

Eat. Drink & be Skinny!

Simple secrets to living a clean and colorful lifestyle!

Pink Running Kicks

Quitters Never Win and Winners Never Quit!

Dizzy Dancing Dope Runs Disney

My journey from a dancing runner newbie to DOPEY @ Disney 2016

Distractions of Debbie

Crafting, DIY-ing, Running, Disney, Cycling and whatever else catches my fancy

FOREIGN THING

TRAVEL PLACE AND CREATIVE SPACE

Miss Adventures in Running

The adventures of a twenty-something learning to run and be healthy!

jmrockowski.wordpress.com/

Mom. Travel Lover. Part Time Princess. Full Time Muggle. Exploring the world with my family one trip at a time!

NCF FGFOA

North Central Florida Chapter FGFOA

glamrunner

Fun. Fit. Fabulous.

I Run on Water

... I mean, don't we all?

GooberMonkey

When exercise just isn't enough....

Fairytales and Fitness

When exercise just isn't enough....

Scootadoot